Feminist Speakeasy – conversations and reflections about feminist community development and activism – Midlands Tues 27th Nov 2012 and North East Weds 28th Nov – 11 am to 3 pm
Purpose Initially we are hosting two gatherings to explore the significance of ‘feminism’ in community development theory, activism and practice in relation to the current climate, with a view to a larger national event in 2013.
We want to…
- open up spaces for critical dialogue amongst women who are passionate about feminist community development and activism
- provide opportunities to re-group, reflect, re-energise
- provide opportunities for networking across margins and boundaries
- increase visibility and legitimacy of feminist community development as an approach
- define new critical and practical challenges
Increased visibility and legitimacy of feminist community development as an approach
Definition of new critical and practical challenges for practitioners, activists, academics and policy makers with an interest in feminist community development
Potentially plans for a national feminist community development and activism conference A set of informal, free and accessible papers
- What do we mean by feminist community development and activism and why do it?
- Where have we been and where are we now?
- Is there still a role for women organising together as women?
- How can we move forward with a feminist agenda in community development and activism?
- What are the challenges and opportunities?
We are going ahead with these events independent of any external funding.